This is a beyond decadent snack…way too dangerous to leave at the house!!!
Melt a stick of butter in a large tall pot. Then add a bag of chocolate chip morsels, stirring until melted. Then add 12 oz of peanut butter creamy, completely melt and stir all 3 together. Add one teaspoon of vanilla extract gradually stir in Rice chex cereal, small amounts at the time until you have used about ½ of a regular box.
Then, add a large bag of 4x conf. sugar to a large freezer Ziploc, dip mix in to this in small quantities and shake shake shake shake. Keep the other mixture hot and keep adding it to the bag of sugar and shaking until all covered. It takes a lot of shaking and adding a lot of powdered sugar to the top. If the mixture gets cold, it will not stick so keep it warm while you are shaking ..
I found this recipe on the blog for The Girl Who Ate Everything (www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com)
I decided to make these because the Snowman Trash (as some people call the Peanut Butter/Powdered Sugar Chex Mix snack) has peanut butter, and my little guy can’t have that. (We found out he was allergic a month or so ago.)
I have copied the recipe from her site, but I have added my own photos. This is an easy one to make with my toddler…he is almost always involved in any preparation of sweet treats, to be honest! He likes to participate, and baking is a safer task to participate in than cooking, so I involve him whenever I can. 🙂
Cake Batter Muddy Buddies
Makes 5 cups
This recipe is easily doubled. One large box of Chex cereal is enough for two batches.
5 cups Rice Chex cereal
10 ounces (5 squares) vanilla flavored Almond Bark
3/4 cup yellow cake mix
1/4 cup powdered sugar
vegetable shortening, optional (I used a little of this to thin the Almond Bark…to experiment. I used maybe a teaspoon…will add a bit more next time.)
1. Pour 5 cups of Chex Cereal into a large bowl.
2. Melt Almond Bark according to the package directions, adding vegetable shortening to thin if desired.
3. Pour Almond Bark over cereal, stirring and folding until the cereal is completely covered. Generously shake sprinkles over mixture and fold them in as well. so they stick to the Almond Bark.
4. In a large bag or covered container such as Tupperware, put cake mix and powdered sugar and shake to mix evenly.
5. Pour the Almond Bark covered cereal into the large bag or container containing cake mix and powdered sugar. Seal the bag or container and shake until all the cereal is coated with the powdered mixture.
6. Discard excess powder and enjoy!